This series is about my adventures hiking, cycling, mountain biking and motorcycling. Somehow I always find unexpected and unusual treasures on my journeys... or they find me.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Hidden Valley Trail, Moab. No ranch, no dressing





A few miles south of Moab, the Hidden Valley Trail is a quick hike to Moab rim which is a great spot to look down over the town and get oriented (or "orientated" as many say).
This trail connects to the heavily traveled Moab Rim Trail, a favorite vertical test for offroad Jeeps, mountain bikers and hikers. This part of the trail, however, is a single track open only to hikers and mountain bikers. It traverses a Wilderness Study Area as well, cautioning people to stay on the trail.






Not far up the trail, I spotted this lizard. Can you spot it? These little guys are quick, so I was surprised it waited long enough to be photographed. Does anyone know why lizards do funny little "push-ups" all the time?

A few hundred feet beyond the lizard spotting, these three guys flew past me, running down the trail. I eavesdropped on their conversation, "What did you think of that salmon last night?" "Great man!" "I think we outta get some more of that and do a little steak with it tonight." "Yeah, and some fresh greens and roasted peppers and..." out of earshot. Maybe they should open a restaurant.














In the photo below I wanted to show this view of the Slickrock trail area. This lies to the northeast of Hidden Valley Trail. The low, yellow-ish rocks are partially in shadow, and just above the valley floor. This famous destination hides above town, ready to demoralize even the most balls-y and skilled bikers and motorcycle riders. The first time I rode this trail, in 1989, I actually cried. Even though I'd ridden a mountain bike many miles and could clean some technical sections... this place was wicked challenging -- both mentally and physically. I never miss an opportunity to remind people the trail system was created in the 1970s by motorcycle riders, not bicyclists or hikers.



Here is a shot over my shoulder of the valley floor. Moab is to the north, my left.


























At the top of the trail, it flattens out and eventually connects with the Moab Rim Trail, to the north. This is the end of the trail for me today. I headed back into town to collect my belongings from my friend's house (including my bicycle) and start the long drive back to northern Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers